Saturday, February 27, 2010

Music Hath Charms

Last night we went to Freight & Salvage to see Mike Marshall and Darol Anger with Vasen (sorry, don't know how to type the a with the two little dots on top). The whole night was awesome, but the highlight for me was seeing Mike Marshall pull out his mandocello for Borealis. I was virtually in tears. Such a beautiful song. But aside from the song itself, what really got me was the rich, beautiful tone of the mandocello. I was riveted. I couldn't take my eyes off it, and especially when he hit the lower registers, which rang with this deep, growling, resonant bass sound I've only ever heard from an acoustic or upright bass... Man, I was blown away. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen anyone play a mandocello live before. I wasn't even really sure what it was. I had to google it to be sure. Now I have to play one. I feel incomplete until I get one in my hands. Turns out they're incredibly expensive. So I guess I'll remain incomplete for a while. Or forever.

No comments: